Snohomish, Lake Stevens, and Monroe are rich with stunning landscapes, verdant greenery, and a vibrant palette of colors. Whether you are planning a garden or landscaping project, there is abundant plant species, shrubs, and flowers. Despite the heavy rainfall and drought conditions throughout the year, plenty of plants thrive in the region. This blog will explore the top plants and maintenance tips to enhance your Snohomish garden.
Selecting the perfect plants for your landscape is exciting but requires careful consideration and planning. To create a beautiful and thriving outdoor space, here are some helpful tips to guide you in selecting the right plants:
- Consider the climate: Choose plants well-suited for your local climate. In the Pacific Northwest, for example, choosing plants that can thrive in the region’s mild, rainy winters and dry summers is important.
- Determine sun exposure: Some plants require full sun, while others prefer partial or full shade. Make sure to choose plants well-suited for sun exposure in your landscape.
- Think about soil conditions: Some plants require well-drained soil, while others can tolerate wet or clay soil. Choosing plants that are well-suited for the soil conditions in your landscape is important.
- Consider maintenance requirements: Some plants require more maintenance, such as regular watering, pruning, or fertilization. Make sure to choose plants that fit your level of commitment to maintenance.
- Choose plants that fit your aesthetic: Finally, choose plants that fit your aesthetic and complement the style and design of your landscape.
Plant a Variety of Shrubs
Planting various shrubs is the best way to add privacy and color to your landscape. Shrubs can be used as a hedge or screen, creating boundaries between properties.
Shrubs are planted in rows or clumps, which adds visual interest and makes for an interesting landscape design element. If you have an open space in your yard that needs filling, consider planting several shrubs together as an accent piece–it will help fill out the space while providing some shade on hot summer days!
In Northwest Washington, the best shrubs to plant will depend on various factors, including the specific location, soil type, amount of sunlight, and desired aesthetic. However, here are some popular and recommended shrubs that do well in the area:
- Rhododendrons: These evergreen shrubs are a favorite in the Pacific Northwest due to their showy, colorful spring blooms and ability to thrive in acidic soils with ample moisture.
- Azaleas: Similar to rhododendrons, azaleas also have vibrant blooms in the spring and prefer acidic soils and partial shade.
- Hydrangeas: These deciduous shrubs produce large, rounded flower clusters in shades of blue, pink, or white. They do well in moist, well-draining soils and partial shade.
- Oregon Grape: This native evergreen shrub produces yellow flowers in the spring and blue-black berries in the fall. It does well in various soil types and tolerates sun and shade.
- Wintergreen: This low-growing evergreen shrub produces white or pink flowers in the spring and has glossy green leaves that turn red in the winter. It prefers well-draining soil and partial shade
When selecting shrubs for your landscape, choosing plants that are suited to your specific site conditions and will thrive in your area is important. If you’re unsure, call us, and we’ll help you discover which shrubs grow best throughout the Snohomish area. (360) 862-8702
Add Groundcover to Your plants is a great way to cover large areas of your yard and add color. They can be used as a border between other plants or planted in the middle of your garden bed. Groundcovers are often low maintenance, so they’re great for those who don’t want to spend hours caring for their lawns or gardens.
There are endless choices for groundcovers, but there are only three categories: shrubs, annuals, and perennials (the latter being the most common). If you’re looking for something that requires little watering and gives off lots of color throughout the year, try using one from each category!
The gardens and landscaping in the Pacific Northwest benefit from a rich variety of groundcovers that thrive in the region. Here are some popular options, but there are many more. Feel free to ask us about the abundant selection available to enhance your outdoor space
- Creeping Thyme: This fragrant groundcover has small, purple flowers and can tolerate moderate foot traffic.
- Oregon Stonecrop: This succulent groundcover is drought-tolerant and thrives in rocky or sandy soil.
- English Ivy: This evergreen groundcover slopes and creates a dense ground cover. It prefers shade but can tolerate some sun.
Wild Ginger: This native groundcover has heart-shaped leaves and produces small, reddish-brown flowers. It prefers shade and moist soil.
A perennial plant is a plant that lives for more than two years and typically produces blooms year after year. In the Pacific Northwest, many perennials work well due to the mild winters and cool summers. Here are some of the best perennial plants for Northwestern Washington:
- Hostas: These plants are popular for their large leaves and come in various sizes and colors. They prefer partial shade and moist soil.
- Peonies: These showy flowers come in various colors and bloom in late spring to early summer. They prefer full sun to partial shade and well-draining soil.
- Daylilies: These hardy plants produce blooms in various colors throughout the summer and prefer full sun to partial shade and well-draining soil.
Black-eyed Susans: These bright yellow flowers bloom mid to late summer and prefer full sun to partial shade and well-draining soil.
Examples of Annuals for gardens and landscapes
An annual plant is a plant that completes its life cycle (germination, growth, flowering, and seed production) within one growing season and then dies. In the Pacific Northwest, annual plants are a great way to add seasonal color to your garden or landscaping project. Here are some of the best annual plants for gardens and landscaping in Northwest Washington:
- Impatiens: These plants produce colorful flowers in shades of pink, red, purple, white, or orange and prefer partial shade and well-draining soil.
- Marigolds: These plants produce bright yellow or orange flowers and prefer full sun and well-draining soil.
- Petunias: These plants produce trumpet-shaped flowers in various colors and prefer full sun and well-draining soil.
- Snapdragons: These plants produce tall spikes of flowers in shades of pink, red, white, or yellow and prefer full sun to partial shade and well-draining soil.
The plant varieties above are only some initial plant options to begin your landscaping project, but there are countless others to choose from. If you want to learn more about additional options, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Choose Rios Landscaping LLC for all your landscaping, garden enhancements, and maintenance needs in the Snohomish region.
Looking for a reliable and experienced landscaping and gardening company in Snohomish? Look no further than Rios Landscaping LLC!
With years of experience serving the Snohomish community, we take pride in providing exceptional landscaping and gardening services to our clients. Our team of skilled professionals is committed to delivering high-quality workmanship and exceptional customer service on every project we undertake.
Whether you want to transform your outdoor space into a beautiful oasis or simply maintain your landscaping, Rios Landscaping LLC has the knowledge, expertise, and tools to do the job right. From planting and pruning to lawn care and irrigation, we have the skills and experience to meet all your landscaping and gardening needs.
At Rios Landscaping LLC, we understand that every project is unique. That’s why we take the time to listen to your needs, understand your vision, and work with you to create a custom solution that meets your specific requirements. We take pride in delivering projects on time and budget without compromising quality.
So why choose Rios Landscaping LLC for your #1 choice in landscaping and gardening in Snohomish? Simple: We are committed to delivering exceptional results, providing outstanding customer service, and exceeding your expectations every step of the way. Contact us today to learn more about our services and how we can help you transform your outdoor space into a beautiful oasis.